Marco Dante Plinio Tettamanti
2017: “Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale come Professore di I fascia nel settore concorsuale 11/E1”, corresponding to the Full Professor level. The habilitation has validity until April 10, 2023.
2014: "Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale come Professore di II fascia nel settore concorsuale 11/E1”, corresponding to the Associate Professor level. The habilitation has validity until February 25, 2020.
2000-2004: PhD In Neuroscience (Dr. sc. nat.), Natural Sciences Faculty, University of Zurich, Switzerland. Supervisors: Dorothea Weniger, Ruediger Wehner, Stanislas Dehaene.
1997-2000: Training and Mobility of Researchers (EU-FP4) Grant Fellow, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy. Supervisor: Daniela Perani.
1996: Degree in Molecular Biology and Neurobiology (Biologie II), University of Basel, Switzerland. Supervisors: Heinrich Reichert, John. G. Nicholls.
Carriera accademica ed attività didattica
2018-present: Associate Professor in Psychobiology and Psychophysiology, CIMeC - Center for Mind/Brain Sciences, University of Trento, Italy.
2006-2018: Tenured full-time IRCCS research fellow, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milano, Italy.
2003-2006: Tenure-track full-time IRCCS research fellow, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milano, Italy.
2019-present: Professor, M.Sc. Course in Cognitive Science, CIMeC, University of Trento, Italy, Courses in “Psycholinguistics [42h/6ECTS]”, “Advanced Topics in Memory [42h/6ECTS]”. M.Sc. Course in Data Science, CIMeC, University of Trento, Italy, Course in “Neuroimaging for Data Science [22h/3ECTS]”. Ph.D. Course in Cognitive Neuroscience, CIMeC, University of Trento, Italy, Course in “Neurobiology for Beginners [6h/1ECTS]”.
2011-present: Lecturer at the MSc in Clinical Neurosciences. Catholic University of Milan & Brescia, Italy.
2022-: Lecturer at the post-graduate Master Course in Neuroimaging. Università degli Studi Gabriele d'Annunzio, Chieti, Italy.
2001-2002, 2012-2017: Contract Professor for the Degree Programme in Physiotherapy, Medicine Faculty, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milano, Italy. Course modules in “Neurophysiology of cognitive processes” and “Neurolinguistics”.
2005-2015: Contract Professor at the Faculty of Psychology, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milano, Italy. Courses in “Cognitive Neuropsychology” (2005-2006), “Neurobiology of Memory (2006-2010)”. Course modules in “Experimental Psychology: Neuroimaging” (2011-2013), “Exp. Psy. Neuroim.: Excercises (2013-2015), “Neurobiology of Language: Exercises” (2009-2010), “Neurobiology of Language: Excercises” (2013-2015).
2016: Lecturer at Federation European Societies Neuropsychology’s summer school, Berlin, September 1, 2016.
2007 and 2009: Visiting Lecturer at the MSc in Human Cognitive Neuropsychology, Edinburgh University, U.K.
Interessi di ricerca
Language, Neurolinguistics, Grounded Cognition and Neuroimaging
My research is mainly focused on the neurobiology of language. I combine theoretical linguistics, psycholinguistics, psychophysics, and neuropsychological methods with multimodal neuroimaging techniques (fMRI, sMRI, DWI, MEG, EEG) to understand the neural mechanisms underlying normal and pathological language functions and language development.
Current research directions
Recursive hierarchical syntactic structures: What are the underlying neurocomputational mechanisms? Are these mechanisms shared across cognitive domains (language, music, action)?
Tettamanti, M., Alkadhi, H., Moro, A., Perani, D., Kollias, S., & Weniger, D. (2002). Neural correlates for the acquisition of natural language syntax. Neuroimage, 17, 700–709. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-8119(02)91201-2
Tettamanti, M., Rotondi, I., Perani, D., Scotti, G., Fazio, F., Cappa, S. F., & Moro, A. (2009). Syntax without language: neurobiological evidence for cross-domain syntactic computations. Cortex, 45(7), 825–838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cortex.2008.11.014
Tettamanti, Marco, & Moro, A. (2012). Can syntax appear in a mirror (system)? Cortex, 48(7), 923–935. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cortex.2011.05.020
Tettamanti, Marco, & Perani, D. (2012). The neurobiology of structure-dependency in natural language grammar. In M. Faust (Ed.), Handbook of the Neuropsychology of Language (1st ed., Vol. 1, pp. 229–251). Wiley-Blackwell.
Tettamanti M. Il Cervello Sintattico. Editore Carocci, p. 128 (2020). ISBN: 978-88-430-9652-7.
Concepts as grounded in personal experience: How are concepts, semantic features, and semantic categories represented in the brain? What is the role of individual life-time experience in concept formation? Are grounded conceptual representations accessed independently of stimulus awareness?
Tettamanti, M., Buccino, G., Saccuman, M. C., Gallese, V., Danna, M., Scifo, P., … Perani, D. (2005). Listening to action-related sentences activates fronto-parietal motor circuits. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 17(2), 273–281. https://doi.org/10.1162/0898929053124965
Ghio, M., & Tettamanti, M. (2016). Grounding Sentence Processing in the Sensory-Motor System. In G. Hickok & S. L. Small (Eds.), Neurobiology of Language (1 edition, pp. 647–657). Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Academic Press. Retrieved from http://www.elsevier.com/books/neurobiology-of-language/hickok/978-0-12-407794-2
Ghio, M., Vaghi, M. M. S., Perani, D., & Tettamanti, M. (2016). Decoding the neural representation of fine-grained conceptual categories. Neuroimage, 132, 93–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2016.02.009
Tettamanti, Marco, Conca, F., Falini, A., & Perani, D. (2017). Unaware Processing of Tools in the Neural System for Object-Directed Action Representation. Journal of Neuroscience, 37(44), 10712–10724. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1061-17.2017
Syntax-semantic interface: What are the neural mechanisms of sentential negation? How are grounded conceptual representations modulated by sentential negation? How does the spatio-temporal integration of syntactic and semantic information unfold during language processing?
Tettamanti, M., Manenti, R., Rosa, P. A. D., Falini, A., Perani, D., Cappa, S. F., & Moro, A. (2008). Negation in the brain: modulating action representations. Neuroimage, 43(2), 358–367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2008.08.004
Alemanno, F., Houdayer, E., Cursi, M., Velikova, S., Tettamanti, M., Comi, G., … Leocani, L. (2012). Action-related semantic content and negation polarity modulate motor areas during sentence reading: An event-related desynchronization study. Brain Research, 1484(0), 39–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2012.09.030
Bartoli, E., Tettamanti, A., Farronato, P., Caporizzo, A., Moro, A., Gatti, R., … Tettamanti, M. (2013). The disembodiment effect of negation: negating action-related sentences attenuates their interference on congruent upper limb movements. Journal of Neurophysiology, 109(7), 1782–1792. https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.00894.2012
Ghio, M., Haegert, K., Vaghi, M. M., & Tettamanti, M. (2018). Sentential negation of abstract and concrete conceptual categories: a brain decoding multivariate pattern analysis study. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences, 373(1752), 20170124. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2017.0124
Narrative language processing: How is phonological, syntactic, semantic, and pragmatic information integrated during natural speech processing? Can we delineate a neurolinguistic grammar based on fMRI and EEG measurements?
Neurodevelopmental readiness for language: What are the early brain maturation processes that underlie language acquisition? Does knowledge of these early processes inform the prediction of normal versus impaired language development?
Attività di ricerca
2012-present Frontiers in Psychology (Review Editor)
Ad-hoc Journal Reviewing
• Advances in Cognitive Psychology
• Bilingualism: Language and Cognition
• Brain and Cognition
• Brain and Language
• Brain Research
• Brain Research Bulletin
• Brain Structure and Function
• Brain Topography
• Cerebral Cortex
• Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Neuroscience
• Cortex (Certificate of Reviewing Excellence 2013)
• Experimental Brain Research
• Frontiers in Bioscience
• Frontiers in Psychology
• Giornale Italiano di Psicologia
• Human Brain Mapping
• Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology
• Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience
• Journal of Neurolinguistics
• Journal of Neuroscience
• Journal of Psycholinguistic Research
• Language and Cognition
• Language, Cognition and Neuroscience
• Memory and Cognition
• MIT Press, Linguistics and Language Section
• Neuropsychology Review
• PloS ONE
• Psychological Science
• Scientific Reports
• Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience
Grant review panels
• 2021: Scientific evaluator, Institut Universitaire de France.
• 2016, 2021: Israel Science Foundation (ISF), Israel.
• 2019: Scientific evaluator, Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).
• 2019: Scientific evaluator, French National Research Agency (ANR).
• 2015: German Research Foundation (DFG), Germany.
• 2015: German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Germany.
• 2019-present: Faculty member of the Doctoral Program in Cognitive and Brain Sciences, CIMeC, University of Trento, Italy.
• 2019-present: CIMeC’s Deputy for safety and health on the working place, University of Trento, Italy.
• 2019: Vice-coordinator and committee member of the PhD Program in Cognitive and Brain Sciences, CIMeC, University of Trento.
• 2016-2019: Faculty member of the Specialization School in Neuropsychology, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy.
• 2010-2018: Faculty member of the PhD Programme in Cognitive Neuroscience and Philosophy of the Mind, IUSS, Pavia, Italy.
• 2017: Committee Member for 1 Habilitation Thesis, University of Poitiers, France.
• 2021: PhD thesis defense committee member, University of Urbino, Italy.
• 2015-2016: Committee Member for 1 PhD student, International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy.
• 1997-2000: Training and Mobility of Researchers (TMR) Grant of the European Community (EU-FP4) through the Swiss National Science Foundation (id. 83EU-050204). Role: principal investigator.
• 2019-2021: A multimodal investigation on the embodiment of emotion concepts under subliminal lexical-semantic processing conditions (id. University of Trento, Decree No. 48, 23.05.2019). Role: principal investigator.
• 2021-2022: University of Trento, post-doc fellowship for Seal of Excellence Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions applicants. Role: supervisor.
Appartenenza a società e comitati scientifici
• 2015-present: Elected member of the International Neuropsychology Symposium (http://ins-1951.org).
Convegni e conferenze
Conference presentations (selection since 2012)
• Romero Lauro L.J., Mattavelli G., Papagno C., Tettamanti M. Sensorimotor Representation for Motion Verbs in Literal vs Figurative Context: A fMRI Study. Abstract presented at the 50th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Aphasia, Procedia: Social & Behavioral Sciences 61: 224-225 (2012).
• Ghio M., Conca F., Bellebaum C., Perani D., Tettamanti M. Effective connectivity in the action representation system during aware and unaware tool processing. Abstract presented at the 25th Annual OHBM Conference (2019).
• Bas-Hoogendam J.M., Bernstein R., Benson B., …, Battaglia M., Tettamanti M., …, Thompson P.M., Westenberg P.M., van der Wee N.J.A., Groenewold N.A., Stein D.J., Winkler A.M., Pine D.S., on behalf of the ENIGMA-Anxiety Working Group. Structural brain correlates of childhood inhibited temperament: rationale and methodology for an ENIGMA-Anxiety mega-analysis. Online poster presentation at the 34th ECNP Congress 2021, Libson, Portugal.
Invited talks (selection since 2012)
• Tettamanti M. Embodiment versus Disembodiment: conceptual-semantic representations and their modulation by syntactic negation. IUSS, Pavia, Italy, May 21, 2013.
• Tettamanti M. Il linguaggio: Le recenti scoperte nel campo della neurobiologia. TV interview on Radiotelevisione Svizzera, broadcasted on April 27, 2014 (http://www5.rsi.ch/home/networks/la1/cultura/Il-giardino-di-Albert/2014/04/14/giardino-27-apr.html).
• Featured in the “MIND, Mente & Cervello, Le Scienze” magazine, April, 2020: “E il cervello creò il verbo” by Campagna I. (https://www.lescienze.it/mind/articoli/2020/03/31/news/e_il_cervello_creo_il_verbo-4702575/).
• Tettamanti M. L’importanza del linguaggio per la plasticità cerebrale nel corso di vita. CIMeC’s cycle “Che ti passa per la testa? Le neuroscienze a casa tua”. Broacasted on March 30 and April 2, 2020. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46gmOgTRRaU&feature=youtu.be).
• Tettamanti M. Il Cervello Sintattico. Lingua Italiana, Treccani Magazine, April 1, 2021. https://www.treccani.it/magazine/lingua_italiana/articoli/scritto_e_parlato/cervello3.html