Michela Alessandra Denti
• 22 January 2000: EUROPEAN DOCTORATE IN BIOTECHNOLOGY awarded by the European Association for Higher Education in BioTechnology.
Carriera accademica ed attività didattica
• October 2014 - present: ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR of Applied Biology (PROFESSORE ASSOCIATO BIO/13), CIBIO, University of Trento, (Italy).
• March 2008-September 2014: ASSISTANT PROFESSOR of Molecular Biology (RICERCATRICE UNIVERSITARIA BIO/11), CIBIO, University of Trento, (Italy).
• November 2007-February 2008: VISITING PROFESSOR, Faculty of Science, University of Trento (Italy).
EXPERIENCE IN TRAINING AND SUPERVISION OF STUDENTS AND POSTDOCS
Interessi di ricerca
• Molecular Biology of RNA
Research support to collaborators
Attività di ricerca
• November 2007- present: PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR, Laboratory of RNA Biology and Biotechnology, Centre for Integrative Biology (CIBIO), University of Trento, (Italy).
• January 2002-October 2007: POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER, Prof. Irene Bozzoni’s laboratory at the Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Rome, (Italy).
The research project concerned the exploitation of non-canonical properties of RNA to control gene-expression in a sequence-specific way:
- Development of DNA vectors for RNA interference in mammalian cells and their application to knock down genes of interest
- Gene therapy of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD): restoring of dystrophin synthesis in vivo by antisense-RNA-induced exon skipping
• January 1998 – December 2001: POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER, Prof. Martin Tabler’s and Prof. Mina Tsagris’ laboratories at the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, FORTH, Heraklion, Crete, (Greece).
The research project included:
- Study of the interaction between the Potato Spindle Tuber Viroid (PSTVd) RNA and the tomato RNA-binding protein Virp1 by mutational analysis of the RNA and protein moieties
- Functional characterisation of the tomato protein Virp1
- Cloning and characterisation of Virp1 homologs from other Solanaceae
- Study of the viroid-induced post-transcriptional gene silencing in tomato.
• March 1996 – March 1997: VISITING RESEARCHER, Prof. Martin Tabler’s laboratory at the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, FORTH Heraklion, Crete, (Greece).
The research project, part of the PhD studies, consisted in learning and implementing a Northwestern technique for the identification of RNA-binding proteins from cDNA expression libraries, developed in the host laboratory, and applying it to the identification of newt proteins binding to the newt hammerhead ribozyme.
• July 1995 - September 1995: VISITING RESEARCHER, Prof. Joseph G. Gall’s laboratory at the Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Baltimore, Maryland, (USA).
The research project, carried out during the doctoral studies, aimed at the investigation of the localisation of the newt hammerhead ribozyme in coiled bodies and other subnuclear bodies by in situ hybridisation on newt oocyte sections and germinal vesicles spread preparations.
• December 1993 - November 1997: POST-GRADUATE PROJECT as PhD Thesis concerning the in vivo application, the intracellular localisation and the association to RNA-binding proteins of the newt hammerhead ribozyme. Supervisor: Professor G. Barsacchi (University of Pisa).
• January 1992 - November 1993: UNDERGRADUATE PROJECT as Degree Thesis concerning the construction of a newt hammerhead modified ribozyme to inactivate gene functions in mammalian cells in culture. Supervisor: Professor G. Barsacchi (University of Pisa).
Appartenenza a società e comitati scientifici
Premi e riconoscimenti
• RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP (Assegno di Ricerca) at the Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology of the University "La Sapienza", Roma, Italy. E05B - MOLECULAR BIOLOGY. Title of research: "Use of non-canonical properties of RNA for the site-specific modulation of gene expression". Scientific supervisor: Prof. Irene Bozzoni. January 2002-June 2003
• FELLOWSHIP OF THE CONSIGLIO NAZIONALE DELLE RICERCHE, Comitato Nazionale per le Scienze Biologiche e Mediche, awarded to visit the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB), Heraklion, Greece. November 1998-November 1999
• FELLOWSHIP OF THE CONSIGLIO NAZIONALE DELLE RICERCHE, Comitato Nazionale per le Biotecnologie e la Biologia Molecolare, awarded to visit the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB), Heraklion, Greece. May-October 1998
• FEBS YOUTH TRAVEL GRANT, awarded to attend the FEBS Advanced Course "Young Scientists' Views of Molecular Biology 5: From the Understanding to the Design of Biological Function". St. Jakobushaus, Goslar, Germany. 21-29 March 1998
• FEBS SHORT TERM FELLOWSHIP, awarded to visit the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB), Heraklion, Greece. January-February 1998
• EMBO SHORT TERM FELLOWSHIP, awarded to visit the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB), Heraklion, Greece. March–May 1996
• FEBS YOUTH TRAVEL GRANT, awarded to attend the FEBS/NATO/EMBO International Summer School on Molecular and Cellular Biology. “A World of RNA: Structure and Function”. Spetses, Greece. 28 August-10 September 1994
Convegni e conferenze
• 10th Annual Meeting Federazione Italiana Scienze della Vita (FISV). Riva del Garda, (TN) Italy.24-27 September 2008
• 5th meeting of the GBM study section "RNA-Biochemistry" "RNA Biochemistry 2008 & Workshop Single Molecule Techniques". Kassel, Germany.18-21 September 2008
• RNA 2008. Thirteenth Annual Meeting of the RNA Society. Berlin, Germany. 28 July-3 August 2008
• International Conference on Viroids and Viroid-Like RNAs. Berlin, Germany. 26-27 July 2008
• 20th Pezcoller Symposium: “Molecular Biology in Cancer: 20 years of progress punctuated by the Pezcoller Symposia”. Trento, Italy. 11-13 June 2008
• 1st Meeting of the International Collaborative Effort for DMD: Towards clinical trials for DMD using gene and cell therapies. Monte Carlo, Monaco. 7 June 2008
• EMBO Conference Series “RNA and Disease: RNA Metabolism and associated pathologies”. Villa Mondragone, Rome, Italy. 31 May-5 June 2008
• 80th Meeting of the Italian Society of Experimental Biology. Trento, Italy. 29 November-1 December 2007
• TREAT-NMD Workshop on Outcome Measures for experimental studies in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Naarden (Amsterdam) – The Nederlands.30 June-1 July 2007
• Retreat of the Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, University La Sapienza. Ponzano Romano. Roma. Italy. 26-27 June 2007
• The world of small non-coding RNAs: from basic to applied science. Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei- Roma, Italy.11-12 June 2007
• 10th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene Therapy, Seattle, Washington, USA.30 May-3 June 2007
• 14th Telethon Scientific Convention. Salsomaggiore Terme. Italy.12-14 March 2007
• EMBO Conference on Pre-mRNA processing and disease. Cortina d’Ampezzo (BL), Italy. 14-17 January 2007
• I fatti e le parole: la sperimentazione sull’uomo nella distrofia di Duchenne e Backer. Milano, Italy. 23 September 2006
• First Annual Scientific Conference of Istituto Toscano Tumori (ITT). Certosa di Pontignano, Siena.Italy. 22 July 2006
• Conference Jacques Monod “Multiple functions of RNA in gene regulation”. Roscoff, France. 3-7 May 2006
• 8th National Biotechnology Congress. Siena, Italy. 7-9 September 2005
• Retreat of the Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, University La Sapienza. Ponzano Romano, Roma, Italy. 14-15 June 2005
• IV Conferenza Internazionale Distrofia Muscolare Duchenne e Becker. Roma, Italy. 10-12 June 2005
• Progress report meeting V Programma Nazionale di Ricerca sull’AIDS. Roma, Italy. 2-06 May 2005
• 13th Telethon Scientific Convention. Salsomaggiore Terme, Italy. 6-8 March 2005
• 2nd EURIT Conference: RNAi-The Method to Unravel Gene Function. Royal Holloway University, London, UK. 23-24 September 2004
• Riunione annuale Gruppo Nucleotidi, Acidi Nucleici e Genomi (NANG), Societa’ Italiana di Biochimica e Biologia Molecolare (SIB), Chieti, Italy. 28-29 May 2004
• Keystone Symposia Conference: "siRNAs and miRNAs". Keystone Resort, Keystone, Colorado, USA. 14-19 April 2004
• 5th Meeting Federazione Italiana Scienze della Vita (FISV). Rimini, Italy. 10-13 October 2003
• Epigenetics. The Annual Meeting of the German Genetics Society. Kassel, Germany. 26-29 September 2003
• Riunione annuale Gruppo Nucleotidi, Acidi Nucleici e Genomi (NANG), Societa’ Italiana di Biochimica e Biologia Molecolare (SIB), Pisa, Italy. 16-17 June 2003
• 4th Meeting Federazione Italiana Scienze della Vita (FISV). Riva del Garda, Italy. 20-23 September 2002
• RNA 2001. Sixth Annual Meeting of the RNA Society. Banff, Alberta, Canada. 29 May–3 June 2001
• EMBO Workshop "Plant Virus Invasion and Host Defence". Kolymbari, Crete, Greece. 28 May–1 June 2000
• RNA ’99. The Fourth Annual Meeting of the RNA Society. University of Edinburgh, Scotland. 23-27 June 1999
• Second European RNA Symposium-Training for young researchers. Löwenhagen, Germany.7-10 October 1998
• Workshop on "Plant viroids and viroid-like satellite RNAs from plants, animals and fungi". Instituto Juan March de Estudios e Investigaciones. Madrid, Spain. 1-3 December 1997
• Joint Meeting "Associazione Biologia Cellulare e Differenziamento (ABCD), Società Italiana Biofisica e Biologia Molecolare (SIBBM), Società Italiana Microbiologia Generale e Biotecnologie Microbiche (SIMGBM)". Montesilvano Lido, Pescara, Italy. 30 September-3 October 1997
• European Research Conference on "Molecular Biology of RNA: translation, stability and localisation of mRNA". Giens, France.13-18 September 1997
• First European RNA Symposium-Training for young researchers. Schloss Rheinfels, St. Goar, Germany. 15-18 September 1996:
• Meeting of the HCM Network "Catalytic RNA: Structure, function and applications". Pisa, Italy. 11-13 September 1996
• Meeting of the HCM Network "Catalytic RNAs: Structure, function and applications". Norwich, U.K. 7-9 April 1995
• Joint Meeting "Associazione Biologia Cellulare e Differenziamento (ABCD), Associazione Genetica Italiana (AGI),Società Italiana Biofisica e Biologia Molecolare (SIBBM), Società Italiana Microbiologia Generale e Biotecnologie Microbiche (SIMGBM)". Montesilvano Lido, Pescara, Italy. 26-30 September 1994
• Workshop of the "Molecular Structure and Gene Expression" Group. Capalbio, Grosseto, Italy. 19-21 May 1994
• XI National Congress of the "Associazione Biologia Cellulare e Differenziamento" (ABCD). Milano, Italy.16-19 September 1993
• Workshop of the "Molecular Structure and Gene Expression " Group. Capalbio, Grosseto, Italy. 13-15 May 1993
Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research - FIRB Futuro in Ricerca 2010 and 2012
Ad hoc reviewer for the journals: The International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Molecules, The Journal of Gene Medicine, BMC Molecular Biology, The Journal of Virological Methods, RNA Biology, Molecular Biotechnology, Gene.
Co-organiser of meetings:
“ANIS4 International Winter School on Nano and Biotechnology: RNAome.0 - functions methodologies and diagnostics”. 27-31 January 2014, Sterzing (Bozen). Italy http://alpnanobioschool.com/
“mRNA fate 2012: Life and death of mRNA in the cytoplasm”. 23-26 May 2012, Riva del Garda (Trento). Italy. http://events.unitn.it/en/mrnafate2012
“The Biotechnolgy Program @UNITN”. 24-25 June 2011, University of Trento, Italy. http://events.unitn.it/en/biotechnologies2011
“RNA 2-day: The RNA world: from basic science to applied research”. 10-11 June 2004, University “La Sapienza”, Roma. Italy
“RNA day: Regolazione dell’espressione genica a livello post-trascrizionale”. 28 January 2003, University “La Sapienza”, Roma. Italy