1987: PhD in Computer Engineering, University of Genoa, Faculty of Engineering
Carriera accademica ed attività didattica
Carriera Accademica ed attività didattiche
2002-2007 Head of the Department of Information and Communication Technology, University of Trento, Italy
2001-2004 Vice-Rector of the University of Trento, Italy
1999-present: Full Professor, Faculty of Science, University of Trento, Italy
1998-99: Head of the Automated Reasoning Systems division, ITC-IRST, Trento, Italy
1994-97: Project manager, ITC-IRST, Trento, Italy
1992-99: Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics, University of Trento, Italy
1992-93: Head of Research Laboratory, ITC-IRST, Trento, Italy
1990-97: Visiting fellow, Department of Computer Science, Stanford University, Stanford, USA
1990-92: Researcher, Faculty of Engineering, University of Genoa, Italy
1988-91: Senior Researcher, ITC-IRST, Trento, Italy
1987-88: Research Fellow, Department of Artificial Intelligence, University of Edinburgh, Scotland,
1986-88: Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Engineering, University of Genoa, Italy
1985-87: PhD student, Stanford University, Stanford, USA
1983-86: Doctorate student, Faculty of Engineering, University of Genoa, Italy
1981-83: Research Assistant, Faculty of Engineering, University of Genoa, Italy
2002-07: “Research Methodology or: Reading, Thinking, Writing and Speaking", Master in Computer Science and PhD ICT, University of Trento
2006-07: “Logics for Data and Knowledge Representation”, Master in Computer Science and PhD ICT, University of Trento
2001-02: “Computer Sciences I”, Laurea in Telecommunications Engineering, University of Trento
2001-04: “Software Engineering”, Laurea in Computer Science, University of Trento
1998-99: “Programming”, Laurea in Mathematics, Faculty of Science, University of Trento;
1995-99: “Languages and Interpreters”, Laurea in Political Economy, Faculty of Economics, University of Trento;
“Test Computer Science”, Faculty of Economics, University of Trento;
1994-95: “Logics for Data and Knowledge Representation”, PhD in Computer Science Engineering, “La Sapienza” University of Rome;
1993-95: “Languages and Interpreters”, Laurea in Computer Science Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Trento;
1992-95: “Automatic Computation”, Laurea in Political Economy, Faculty of Economics, University of Trento;
Interessi di ricerca
Most Relevant Research Work (until 2002; some of this work is joint)
Attività di ricerca
Projects (started after 2002)
Appartenenza a società e comitati scientifici
- President of the Board of Trustees of IJCAI, 2005-2007
- Member of the Committee of the Interdisciplinary Laboratory on Interacting Knowledge systems an "European Joint Laboratory", an initiative of the French Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), with Partners IRIT, ISTC and University of Trento, 2005 – present
- Steering Committee Member and Vice-President (Europe) of the Asian Semantic Web Conference Series (ASWC), 2005 – present
- Member of the European Coordinating Committee on Artificial Intelligence (ECCAI) Fellows Selection Committee, 2004-2006
- Fellow of the European Coordinating Committee on Artificial Intelligence (ECCAI), 2002-present
- President of GraphiTech, a member of the IniGraphicsNet foundation, 2002 - 2005.
- President of KR & R (“Knowledge Representation and Reasoning”), Inc., 2002-2004.
- Member of the IJCAI Board of Trustees (2001 - 2011)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the CALCULEMUS Interest Group/Workshop (1999-2001).
- Steering Committee member of the Symposium on Abstraction, Reformulation and Approximation (SARA (1999-present).
- Advisory Board member of KR, Inc. (1997-present).
- Steering Committee member of the International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context (1997-present).
- Organizing Committee member of the IEEE Conf. on Logic in Computer Science (LICS) (1997 – 2003)
Premi e riconoscimenti
-Author (joint with Alessandro Cimatti, Enrico Giunchiglia, Paolo Traverso) of the paper "Planning via Model Checking: A Decision Procedure for AR" published in the European Conference on Planning (ECP) in 1997, selected as the "International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling"(ICAPS) Influential paper in 2008, SIdney, September 2008
- Prize and Guest Professor of Jilin University, ChangChun, China, September 2008
- Winner of the “IBM Shared University Research Grant”, 2006
- Fellow of the European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelligence, (ECCAI). Nominated in 2002
- Winner of the first ever edition of the "Artificial Intelligence" prize sponsored by the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (AI*IA), as best Italia research scientist born after 1957 (1992).
- Co-author of the article "Abstraction in AI", awarded as the best paper at the AISB (Association for Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour) Postgraduate workshop (1990).
- Winner of a CNR prize for outstanding research done in the period covered by the first CNR (National Research Council) scholarship (1986).
- Winner of a CNR (National Research Council) scholarship (one year) (1986).
- Winner of a CNR (National Research Council) scholarship (six months) (1985).
- Winner of the Fullbright Scholarship. (1985) (Not accepted).
- Co-author of the article "From Descriptions to Images: What reasoning in between?", awarded as the best paper on Cognitive Modeling at the European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI) (1984).
Convegni e conferenze
- 1st Asian Autumn School on the Semantic Web, South Korea, November, 2007.
- Workshop on Pilot Projects and Innovative Public Procurement across Europe on ICT solutions for elderly people, organized by the DG Information Society and Media Directorate, EC, Brussels, March 2007.
- Keynote talk at the International Conference on the Semantic Web and Digital Libraries (ICSD-07), Bangalore, India, February 2007.
- Panel of the wokshop "La dimensione Semantica del Web", organized by IBM, Roma, November 2006.
- Research directions for "ICT forever yours", FET 7th Framework, IST2006 conference in Helsinki, Finland, November 2006.
- Panel on "Creating a new community at large: industrial and academic research, policy makers, funding agencies", Converging Sciences Conference 2006, Trento, October 2006.
- Workshop on Ontology Matching, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC'06), Athens, USA, 2006.
- Workshop "Semantic Web Education and Training Workshop", First Asian Semantic Web Conference, Peching, September 2006.
- Keynote talk at the 19th International Conference on Industrial, Engineering and Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems (IRA/AIE'06), Annecy (Geneva), June 2006.
- Keynote talk at the IADIS International conference WWW/Internet 2006, Murcia, Spain, October 2006 Keynote talk, European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI-06), 2006.
- Panel on "Semantic Technology - A European Perspective", WWW 2006, Edinburgh, 2006.
- Keynote talk, at the European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI-06), 2006.
- Third workshop on Agents Applied in Health Care, 2005, Edinburgh (colocated with Ijcai 2005)
- Second International Workshop on Modeling and Retrieval of Context (MRC 2005), Edinburgh. August 2005
- 2005 DERI Europe meeting, May 2005, Crete
- 2nd European Semantic Web Conference, May-June 2005, Crete (ESWC'05)
- 5th International Conference on Frontiers of Combining Systems (FroCoS 2005) Vienna, Austria, September 19-21, 2005
- Fourth International Workshop on Software Engineering for Large-scale Multi-Agent Systems (SELMAS 2005) at the 27th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2005) in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, May 15-16, 2005
- Keynote Speaker at the Web Applications and Research (WAR2005) conference part of the IADIS Virtual Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (MCCIS 2005), April 2005
- Keynote talk, the First International Workshop on Contexts and Ontologies, Theory, practice and applications, AAAI July 2005, Pittsburgh, 2005
- Keynote speech at the Peer-to-Peer Knowledge Management P2PKM Workshop , Mobiquitous 2004, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, August 22-26, 2004
- Magisterial lecture at the AILA Summer School on Logic, Cesena, September, 2004
- School on Ontological Engineering and the Semantic Web (SSSW-03) July, 2004
- ISWC2003, 2nd International Semantic Web Conference, Workshop on Semantic Integration, Sanibel Island, USA, October 20-23, 2003
- IJCAI-03,Workshop on Ontologies and Distributed Systems, Acapulco, Mexico, August 9-15, 2003
- AOIS’02 Workshop at CAiSE'02. Toronto (Canada), 27-28 May, 2002
- 2002 International Training Seminar of the CALCULEMUS Research Training Network. 24 September - 5 October, 2002
- AICA 2001 - XXXIX Annual Conference, Como, Italy, September 19-22, 2001
- ATAL2001, Eighth International Workshop on Agent Theories, Architectures, and Languages, Seattle, USA, August 1-3, 2001
- Workshop on Models and Methods of Analysis for Agent Based Systems (co-located with ETAPS 2001), Genoa, Italy, April 7, 2001
- FOSAD 2000, International School on Foundations of Security Analysis and Design, Bertinoro, Italy, September 18-30, 2000
- FORTE/PSTV 2000, International Conference on Formal Description Techniques for Distributed Systems and Communication Protocols, Florence, Italy, October 10-13, 2000
- SSGRR 2000 International Conference on Advances in Infrastructures for Electronic Business, Science, and Education on the Internet, L’Aquila,Italy, 31 July-6 August 2000
- Workshop VIRES (Verifying Industrial REactive Systems), Grenoble, France, 14-15 June 2000
- Round Table on Intelligenza Artificiale e Applicazioni: Problematiche e Potenzialità, Convegno AI*IA 1999, Bologna, Italy, 1999
- CALCULEMUS - Int. Symposium on Systems for Integrated Computation and Deduction, Trento, 1999
- AgentLink and Compulog Joint Workshop on the Future of Logic-based Agents, London, 1999
- 5th European Conference on Planning (ECP-99), Durham University (UK), 1999
- 2nd International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context, (CONTEXT’99), Trento, 1999
- Stanford Spring Colloquium in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Stanford University, California, 1998
- Int. Workshop on Rewriting Logic and its Applications (WRTLA), Nancy, France, 1998
- AISB Workshop on Automated Reasoning – “Bridging the Gap between Theory and Practice”. St. Andrews (Scotland), 1998
- 4th Model Age Workshop, Certosa di Pontignano (Siena), Italy, 1997
- Int. Conf on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics, Miami, Florida, 1996
- Int. Summer School on Cognitive Science, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1996
- IJCAI Workshop on Contexts, Montreal, Canada, 1995
- Round Table on Logica, Scienze Cognitive e Intelligenza Artificiale. Congresso Società Italiana di Logica e Filosofia della Scienza (SILFS), Lucca, Italy, 1993
- Workshop on Meta-Level Architectures for Artificial Intelligence, Blanes (Spain), 1993
- Workshop on Open Systems for Mechanized Reasoning, Stanford University, California, 1992
- AAAI Workshop on Approximation and Abstraction of Computational Theories, San José, California, 1992
- Seminar series on “Sistemi Cognitivi Naturali ed Artificiali”, Padova, Italy, 1990
- Workshop on “Esperienze in dimostrazione automatica di teoremi”, Milano, Italy, 1989
- Convegno Associazione Italiana per Intelligenza Artificiale (AI*IA), Ancona, Italy, 1988
- 1987 IEEE COMPCON Conference, San Francisco, California, 1987
- Symposium on “PROLOG e Logic programming”, Padova, Italy, 1984