2003: PhD Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, University College London, London, UK.
Academic career and teaching activities
CURRENT POSITION (2015 - present):
Associate Professor (SSD M-PSI02) at Center for Mind/Brain Sciences, Università di Trento, Italy.
2017: Obtained National Scientific Abilitation for a full professor position.
2007 - 2014: Ricercatore at Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC), Università di Trento, Italy.
2005 - present: Research associate at INSERM (Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale), NeuroSpin, CEA Saclay, Gif-Sur-Yvette, France.
2003 - 2005: Post-Doctoral Researcher (European Marie Curie Individual Fellow) at INSERM U562. Orsay, France.
LAUREA TRIENNALE/ BACHELOR LEVEL
Full Course (1): “The cognitive and neural basis of reading and calculation”. Faculty of Cognitive Science, University of Trento, IT.
Full Course (2): “Current debates in cognitive neurosciences”. Faculty of Cognitive Science, University of Trento, IT.
Parts of the Course (3): “Research methods in psychology”. Faculty of Cognitive Science, University of Trento, IT.
Parts of the Course (2): “Foundations in cognitive psychology”. Cognitive and Brain Sciences (CIMeC) Master, University of Trento, IT.
Occasional Lectures at the Master in Cognitive Science (Cogmaster), Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, FR.
The neurocognitive bases of the representation of symbols. Symbol learning and the neural changes associated to it. The brain networks underlying semantic representations of words and numbers.
In my research group we study the relation between perception and symbolic cognition: on one side, we investigate which aspects of perception act as fundamental building blocks for the development of language-based symbolic cognition; on the other side we study if and how symbolic acquisitions in turn shape perception.
We like combining different methodological approaches and studying different populations: according to the core research question at hand, we use either psychophysics and/or neuroimaging (fMRI, M-EEG) in adults, children and/or infants from different cultures (e.g. westerns compared to amazon indigenous indians) and with different cognitive/perceptual skills (typically developing compared to dyscalculics and/or dyslexics).
Our research spans over two main areas: number processing and word processing.
Conferences and lectures
PLENARY TALKS IN PRESTIGIOUS CONFERENCES
- SPADE workshop (Sensory plasticity, Adaptation, and Development). Pisa Vision Lab, Pisa, Italy, 2018.
- International Convention of Psychological Science. Vienna, Austria, 2017.
- International Neuropsychological Symposium. Crete, Greece, 2017.
- Collège de France. Colloquium on “Interactions between Space, Time and Number: 20 Years of Research”. Talk: “How do young children expand their number sense?”. Paris, FR. 2013.
- International Association for Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists World Congress. Talk: “How culture shapes the brain”. Paris, FR. 2012.
- Collège de France. Colloquium on “Cognitive Science and Education”. Talk: “Le gout du nombre et comment l’acquerir”. Paris, FR. 2012.
- Attention and Performance Symposium "Space, Time and Number in the Brain". Talk: “Neurocognitive Start-up-tool for symbolic number knowledge”. Cernay, FR. 2010.
- Education, Cognition and Neuroscience: International workshop. Department of Cognitive and Education Sciences. Talk: “Neurocognitive Start-up-tool in Numerical Cognition”. University of Trento, IT. 2009.
- Concepts, Actions, and Objects: International workshop. Center for Mind/Brain Sciences. Talk: “Number concepts: Quantity meets symbols in parietal cortex”. Universtiy of Trento, IT. 2007.
- Cognitive Neuroscience Society Meeting. Talk: “Number sense: Quantity meets symbols in parietal cortex”. New York, USA. 2007.
- British Experimental Psychology Society Meeting. Talk: “The quantifying brain: cerebral correlates of numerosity estimation and counting”. London, UK. 2001.
INVITED LECTURES (a short selection)
- Central European University, Budapest, HU. 2017.
- Montessori International, Amsterdam, NL. 2016.
- International School on Mind, Brain, and Education. Erice, IT. 2015.
- Humboldt University of Berlin, DE. 2014.
- University of Louvain la Neuve, BE. 2014.
- University of Cambridge, UK. 2013.
- Pisa Vision Lab, CNR Pisa, IT. 2012.
- National Dyscalculia and Maths Learning Difficulties Conference. London, UK. 2010.
- French Developmental Neuroscience Group. Neurospin, Saclay, FR. 2010.
- Associazione Italiana Psicologia. Sciacca, IT. 2004.
- University of Gent, BE. 2002.
- Membro della Commissione Paritetica Docenti Studenti per la laurea triennale Scienze e Tecniche di Psicologia Cognitiva
- Responsabile CIMeC per la Valutazione VQR 2011-2014
- Membro del Comitato Esecutivo della Scuola di Dottorato del CIMeC.
- Membro del Gruppo di Lavoro AVA2/SUA RD
- Referente CIMeC per la Biblioteca
- Membro della Commissione per la selezione al Collegio di Merito B. Clesio
Regular Ad-hoc reviewer for scientific journals:
Science, Nature Neuroscience, PLoS Biology, Current Biology, Journal of Neuroscience, Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, Cerebral Cortex, NeuroImage, Cognition, Cognitive Neuropsychology, Journal of Experimental Psychology:HPP, Animal Cognition, Cortex, Laterality, Neuropsychology, Neuropsychologia, Perception & Psychophysics, Vision research, Journal of Vision, PLoS One.
Panel member/ evaluation board:
Popularization of scientific results: