- Law Degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Florence, 1966
Carriera accademica ed attività didattica
- Assistant Professor (professore incaricato) of Private International Law at the School of Political Sciences of the University of Cagliari (1976-1979).
- Assistant Professor of Public International Law at the Law School of the University of Urbino (1979-1983).
- Associate Professor of International Law at the Law School of the University of Urbino (1983-1986).
- Associate Professor of International Law at the Law School of the University of Trento (1986-1990).
- Full professor of International Law at the Law School of the University of Trento (since 1990).
Attività di ricerca
- Columbia University, School of International Affairs, Research Project on the Resolutions of the General Assembly of the United Nations (1968).
- Yale University Law School, Research Project on Nuclear Non-Proliferation (1980-1981).
Convegni e conferenze
- Rapporteur at “Nuclear Inter Jura ‘87”, organized by the International Nuclear Law Association (Antwerp, 1987).
- Rapporteur at the “Travaux des XIIIes Journées d’études juridiques Jean Dabin” organized by the International Law Department of the University of Louvain (Louvain, 1988).
- Rapporteur at the Colloquium “Science et droit”, organized by the French Ministry of Research and Technology (Paris, 1991).
- Participant in a Panel Discussion on the reform of the Security Council organized by the University of Georgia (Athens, Georgia, 1996).
- Rapporteur at the Annual Seminar on International Humanitarian Law, organized by the ICRC and the New York University School of Law (New York 1997).
- Rapporteur at the Regional Conference on the International Criminal Court organized by “No Peace Without Justice” and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Uruguay (Montevideo, 1997).
- Participant in the Seminar organized by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs on “The Access of Victims to the International Criminal Court” (Paris, 1999).
- From 2000 to 2002, participant in various conferences and meetings on the International Criminal Court, notably in Storrs (Connecticut), Brussels, Prague and Sevilla.
1. JUDICIAL ACTIVITIES
- He started his judicial career at the Tribunal of Florence in 1969.
- Judge of the Tribunal of Oristano (1972).
- Deputy Prosecutor at the Juvenile Court of Milan (1972-1975).
- Judge of the Tribunal of Milan (1975-1983).
- In his judicial career, he reached the level of Appellate Judge in 1983.
- In 2001, he was elected by the U.N. General Assembly to the list of ad litem judges of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
2. DIPLOMATIC ACTIVITIES
- Member of the Italian delegation to the Conference for the elaboration of the Conventions on the Early Notification of a Nuclear Accident and on Assistance in the Case of a Nuclear Accident or Radiological Emergency (Vienna, 1986).
- Member of the Italian delegation to the IAEA-NEA negotiations to draft a Joint Protocol Relating to the Application of the Vienna and Paris Conventions on Civil Liability for Nuclear Accidents (Vienna, 1988).
- Member of the Italian Delegation to the negotiations to elaborate a Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Waste and Their Disposal (Geneva, Luxembourg, Basel, 1988-1989).
- Member of the Italian Delegation to the IAEA Working Group on Nuclear Liability and to the IAEA Standing Committee on Liability for Nuclear Damage (Vienna, 1989-1991).
- Member of the Group of Jurists entrusted by the Italian Government with the preparation of the introductory document for the Siena Forum on International Law of the Environment, convened by the Summit of the seven most industrialized countries (1990).
- Member of the Italian Delegation to the Preparatory Committee of the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (New York, 1992).
- Legal Adviser to the Permanent Mission of Italy to the United Nations (1992-2001).
- Delegate of Italy to the Vancouver Meeting on the Statute of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (1993).
- Vice-Chairman of the Special Committee on the Charter of the United Nations and on the Strengthening of the Role of the Organization (1994).
- Member of the Delegation of Italy to the Security Council (1995-1996).
- Member of the Italian Delegation to the ad Hoc Committee and the Preparatory Committee on the Establishment of an International Criminal Court (1995 – 1997).
- Member of the Italian Delegation to the United Nations Conference on the Establishment of an International Criminal Court (Rome,1998).
- At the Rome Conference, Coordinator on the issue of Children in Armed Conflicts.
- Member of the Italian Delegation to the Preparatory Commission for the International Criminal Court (1999 – 2002).
- Chairman of the Sixth (Legal) Committee of the General Assembly of the U.N. (55th Session: 2000-2001).